What You Need to Know Before Buying a Massage Chair
Massage therapy has been proven to be beneficial for relieving tension and alleviating back pain, but finding an available licensed therapist may not always be easy – hence the popularity of massage chairs.
How does it work?
At its most basic level, massage chairs are designed to mimic and combine the most effective techniques of Shiatsu and Swedish massages. The nodes and rollers that are powered by motors, give you the pressing, sweeping, rolling and rotating movements of a Shiatsu massage. The long gliding strokes and kneading motions are characteristic of a Swedish massage. These movement patterns are pre-programed into the massage chair. Almost all massage chairs have sensors that measure pressure on the seatback to allow the chair to automatically conform to the user’s weight, height and width, to deliver a fairly spot on massage.
Which is the best massage chair?
There are a lot of brands of massage chairs available online and the price range varies from several hundreds to several thousands of dollars. Although some people correlate a higher price to higher quality and effectivity, this is not always the case. Here’s what you need to look for to get the massage chair that’s best for you:
1. Number of motors – Since the motors drive the nodes and rollers, the more the better. Also check the specs to see if the motors vibrate and move independently of each other as this would be a factor for its customizability.
2. Customizability – Presets are great but may not always apply to your specific needs. Find a massage chair that allows you to customize and adjust so you always get a massage that’s right for you. Ideally, the chair should come with remote for easy access to program controls.
3. Accessories – Massage chairs can come with a multitude of functions and features above and beyond the few basics that you need. Most of the time, it’s the little ‘extras’ that drive the price up. If you really feel the built-in music feature is worth paying additional for, go ahead. Just make sure you know what accessories are included and that you’ll be using it.
4. Cleaning and Maintenance – Find a chair that’s easy to clean and maintain. Massage chairs can be made with combinations of different materials like leather, fabric, synthetics, plastic and wood. Polyurethane leather is a good choice – it’s water resistant, durable and easy to clean.
5. Price – Make sure you get the best value for your money’s worth.
Take a look at our Deluxe Massage Recliner with Ottoman. It’s got all the great functions and features you need for a great massage at your convenience and in the comfort of your home at a price that you can be comfortable with.