Buying Guide: What to Look for When Buying Pet Accessories
Having a pet is a joy. The unconditional love and loyalty we get from our fur babies is just priceless! It is also a big responsibility because pets depend on their humans for all of their needs. Not just food, water and shelter. Just like people, pets also need to feel safe, healthy and happy. With all the pet products and accessories out in the market, it can sometimes feel like a real challenge to determine what is necessary or appropriate. Keep in mind that while the products are for pets, most of these were designed to appeal to the pet owners’ preferences. Please don’t buy something just because it looks nice and cute to you!
The key to knowing what to buy is how well you know your pet, and how your pet fits into your lifestyle. This is very subjective. So, if you’re planning on getting a pet, or if you already have one, do some research before you start shopping. Whether you have a dog, a cat, bird or lizard, there are several websites that list down the general characteristics of a pet, specific to the breed: average size, temperament, adaptability, trainability, exercise needs, grooming, possible health problems, special needs – everything you have to know and expect, to be able to properly care for your pet.
Here are some suggestions when buying pet accessories:
Let’s go with an example for a better picture: Say you have a Labrador Retriever pup. What do you need to buy?
- Based on your research you know that a Lab is not a backyard dog and that he/she needs to be around his family. So, you’ll definitely need to get an indoor pet bed. What should you look for?
Purpose: This is probably the most important. Your top priority will be finding a product that your pet will actually use! The bed has to be comfortable so your pet will love sleeping on it; else you may find your pet using your couch instead.
Size: Measure your pet! You wouldn’t want to get something that’s too small it’s unusable. You also have to decide, your pup may be small right now, but he’ll eventually grow bigger until he reaches full size. You may have 2 options:
1) get a puppy sized bed for now and replace it when he outgrows it, or
2) get a large bed, based on the average size of a full-grown Lab. Pets are also known to develop attachments to their things.
If you’re going for the first option, you don’t have to go for the most durable product available. Price will be more of a concern. You don’t want to spend too much since you’ll be buying another in a couple of months or so.
The reverse is true if you decide on option #2. Look for quality. Again, based on research, you’ll know that Labradors can be very active and rambunctious, so you have to make sure to get a large, heavy-duty dog bed that could withstand some light chewing and lots of rough play or else, you’ll be buying a new bed every other month. You may also want to look at a bed that’s washable and easy to clean.
Colour: Okay, this is more of an owner preference. There are lots of indoor pet beds available and you can pick one to match the colour scheme of the room where you’d like your pet to stay.
Try to apply the same way of thinking to these other needs below:
- Being indoors, you have to potty-train your furry buddy. An indoor toilet training pad would come in handy as an excellent choice.
- Your Lab needs at least 30 minutes of exercise a day to burn off excess energy or he’s bound to develop destructive behaviour like chewing on your shoes and furniture. You’ll need a collar and leash.
- If you’re not able to walk your Lab daily, maybe you could get a play pen. Your playful friend could be free to run around and play in a safely enclosed space without wrecking chaos on the rest of your home.
- Labs hate being alone for long periods, so if you enjoy driving around during weekends, get a Pet Booster Seat so you can safely take him with you.
- This breed is prone to hip dysplasia; it might be wise to get portable pet stairs so he can climb up and down the couch or your bed without injuring himself.
Hope this helps. One last thing, if you are shopping online, make sure to find a reputable store. At FactoryFast, (https://www.factoryfast.com.au) we offer a wide range of products for you to choose from and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you with your needs!